Regrettable

Sunday 10 October 2010

Came across this article by writer/songstress Bronnie Ware the other day - the top five most common regrets according to her experiences nursing the dying. Interesting reading. But why wait until we’re dying to get our shit together. Here's the top five in a nutshell…
  1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. Seemingly, most people don’t honour even half of their dreams and die knowing this was due to choices they had made or not made.
  2. I wish I didn’t work so hard. The regret of spending so much of life on the treadmill of work existence.
  3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings. Many people suppress their true feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settle for a mediocre existence and never become who they are truly capable of being.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. Golden friendships slip by when people become so caught up with their own lives.
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier. Many don’t realise until it's too late that happiness is a choice. Staying stuck in old patterns and habits, fear of change have them pretending to others and to themselves, that they are content. But deep down – often not so much.
Live like you mean it. Be real. Be true. Be kind. Be happy.

0 comments: