Out of my tree

Monday 11 August 2008

Popular legend says you’re not a horserider until you fall off at least 100 times. I’m thinking I can’t have many more to go now. But I do think it’s really important to bring your own unique style to things, as with my last ‘creative dismount’.

Amongst the other horsey folk where I keep Charlie Brown, I have the reputation of being a bit of a bush basher; if you want to come riding with me – beware! I do a lot of riding in a nearby forest and am always on the lookout for new trails (or potential new trails) so often end up going a little off-piste. I wear gloves so I can push the prickly gorse away from my body easily, my helmet protects my noggin and a good deal of faith is also required.

In such a situation over the weekend, I decided I couldn’t be arsed getting off my horse and had faith we could get through a particular tight and tricky spot. Going under some extremely low and prickly foliage I leaned down over my horse’s neck. Needless to say I couldn’t see much and the next minute I found myself off my horse, hanging rather precariously in a tree with my arms hooked over some branches. Meanwhile, my horse has continued through to the other side and is taking the opportunity to snatch some food while he waits for me to disengage myself.

The bruises are starting to come out now (and they’re big and very sore) but I really had to laugh at how amusing it must have looked to any nearby wood nymphs :P

0 comments: