Resolving

Monday 5 January 2009

A new year. When we spend the first 2 weeks getting out of the habit of writing “08” on everything in favour of writing “09”. When traditionally you resolve to either start or stop doing something-or-other in particular.

I make resolutions all the time and certainly don’t consider them to be the domain of the new year only. What can I say; I’m a goal orientated person. I find it much easier when I have something in my sights to aim for. And otherwise, whatever it is, is unlikely to ever happen in this lifetime!

So at new year I like to resolve to do something a little extra special - rather than the run of the mill lose weight, get fit, save money, blah blah blah. Somewhere around the 90s was an extremely good year, when I remember resolving to make love in a waterbed (and a belated thanks to my then boyfriend’s parents who unwittingly provided their marital bed in order for me to realise this objective!)

With regret I never achieved my 2008 new year’s resolution, which was to take my first helicopter flight. I had the opportunity in November during the Nelson A&P show, but decided I’d rather wait until I have the money to take a flight over Mt Cook or somewhere equally breathtaking, rather than the somewhat less inspiring Richmond Showgrounds!

I already live the life of Riley really and am pretty happy with my lot, but after much thought I’ve come up with 2 resolutions for 2009:

  1. Charlie Brown and I are going to brave public scrutiny and enter the mid-winter Nelson dressage series. We’ve been taking lessons for around 2 months now and have something to prove to ourselves. I never thought I would ever in my lifetime even contemplate doing this, so I’m halfway there I reckon.
  2. Stop beating myself up about being the only single girl I know in my mid-30s who can’t even remember what it’s like to be in love. I'm convinced I'm still normal (whatever that is) ;)

Auld lang syne my friends xx

0 comments: